I am back and now blogging 2 weeks and 1 day post pregnancy.    Emmet Matthew was born December 20th at 10:08pm weighing 7lb 6oz.  He decided to come 2 weeks early.  He was born a perfect healthy baby boy.    Again I can blog about another wonderful pregnancy from start to end.  I started my pregnancy at 126lbs and ended at 148lb with a 22lb weight gain.  I felt great right up to the end with the normal discomfort of caring a near full term baby but still maintained my normal lifestyle.  I worked up until the day before I delivered him. 
My exercise came to a halt at about 8 months.  I had no more energy to give in my day between work, Charley, and my husband.   I kept my diet very strict  the whole pregnancy which helped keep my weight gain to a minimal.   I saw Dr. Marcy Cooper twice a month for acupuncture up until the end which kept my energy levels high and I saw Dr. Matt Lytle once a week for ART (Active Release Technique).  ART helped me with sciatic nerve and overly recruited tight muscles.  I started with the ART at about 20 weeks and it was a life saver.  All the muscular aches and pains you experience while your body is adjusting and making room for a baby can be controlled with ART. 
My  labor with Emmet was a totally different experience from what I had with my daughter Charley.  With her I did the normal and went to the hospital immediately when my contractions got close.  With my first  I didn’t  know what to expect and with that  kind of pain I thought the baby must be coming any second and I needed to get to the hospital.   Once I got to the hospital I was only dialated to a 4 and from the time I got to the hospital and the time she was born it was 18 hours later.  I believe once I got to the hospital my labor actually slowed down because I couldn’t relax.  I was fighting my contractions and not breathing and relaxing.  I labored as long as I could without the epidural and when I thought I was so far along I had only made it to a 4.5 and couldn’t take it anymore and got the epidural.  From that point on I was pain free and she came about 12 hours later.    Coming into this pregnancy I did lots of research on what I could do differently and with the help of a friend  I was introduced to hypnobirthing.  Hypnobirthing is natural child birth that teaches you imagery, relaxation, and breathing techniques.   It worked!  My plan was to do most of my laboring at home and not rush to the hospital.   I saw my doctor on a Monday morning and I was only dilated to a 1 and she told me I still had two weeks to go and that I was not  ready.  Emmet said differently because that evening my contractions started while training a client but they were very far apart.  I stayed home from work the next day and just relaxed thinking it was false labor and I was going to slow it down.  By 3pm that day I was wrong they were getting closer and closer.  At that point I decided to get in the tub and start watching the clock.  My mom came over and helped with Charley while I was focusing on my breathing and my relaxation techniques in the water with my phone application contraction counter.  By 5pm Matt came home from work and it was time.  My contractions were 2-3 min apart for the last hour and the pain was getting intense.  We were very unprepared for this moment.  With the help of our parents our bags were being packed and the dogs and Charley were being taken care of and we were off to the hospital.  The tub was great because once I got out of the water the contractions got even stronger.  The water helped keep me relaxed and kept the pressure down.   The car ride there was probably one of the worst moments of my life not to mention we got lost in road construction detours and once we made it to the parking garage I could hardly walk.  This was a very intense moment for me because all along my fear is getting to the hospital and only dilating to a 4 again and being so far away.  Once we got to the floor and the nurses were checking me in I wanted to be checked immediately because if I was no where near ready I was needing the epidural immediately.  The best moment of my life when the nurse checked me and said ” You’re at a  7  looks like were having a baby tonight”.   I  started crying  I was so happy for what I did on my own at home.  That is all I wanted was to get to the hospital and be over half way done.  At that point I had to make the decision to keep laboring on my  own with no drugs or get the epidural and I decided to stick with what I was doing because it was working.  Trust me there were lots of moments I didn’t think I was gonna make it and I was loosing my strength but with Matt coaching me and breathing with me and encouraging me I did it!  Emmet was born exactly 2 hours later and it was the most amazing experience to be able to experience his birth.  Matt and I talk everyday how we wish we could do that day all over again.  It was like trying to finish the hardest race of your life and you are just pushing and pushing to make it to the finish line and at the end of my finish line I got to meet my son Emmet.  I wanted to share this story because it was an amazing experience. 
Emmet is a perfect baby, sleeps a lot, and loves when its feeding time.  You are gonna be hearing from me now as I share my experience of what happens after you have a baby and how to get back on track.  As of right now I am just getting as much rest as I can drinking lot of water and making sure I keep my calories up while breast feeding.  As of today I am 6lbs away from my starting weight but can’t wait to get back to my workouts and running.  I will keep you posted on my success.

Angie Pirtle
Emerge Fitness Training